Online musings of everyday life....

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A small bit of guilt

A lot has been going on lately. October went by in a blur and November is proving the same. I know I have been busy lately but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I am sitting here writing this because my family (the original one – not my family in Atlanta) always seems to make me feel guilty that I work all the time, never write and so forth.

I’m sure you all know how that feels. Families can just lather on the guilt until no tomorrow.

This is the same family that I went home and visited at least twice a year until the age of 35. When I did go home there was a greeting then things went back to the way they were. Gossip about the neighbors up the road whom I had no idea anymore who they were. Gossip about the kids of the neighbors up the road that graduated 20 years behind me and I’m constantly asked “Did you graduate together?” Uh – no, they graduated from high school when I graduated from COLLEGE. No questions of how are you, what have you been doing, are you seeing anyone, or what do you actually do in your job? How was your trip to Switzerland/Paris/London/Florida? Nothing. No matter how long I have been away it’s always like this.

My family still thinks that I own a Harley Davidson motorcycle.


I have cousins who are gay who live with their significant others, we are all totally out to the family and I guess in a way that is cool. But, again, the cousins act the same as the elders – nothing about anything is talked about except the same old small town shit. No one wants to hear about my recent trips, or what I do or anything. They do ask where my gf is and I say that she didn’t come. Why should I ask her to make a trip to be another wallflower like myself? I love her and would not subject her to that. But all I ever hear is “You should come home more often. You should write more often.”

When none of them have ever been down to see me or return my emails.

So, please tell me why should I feel guilty if I don’t send emails consistently?

Please tell me why I should feel guilty that I haven’t gone home for Christmas since my mother died, my grandmother died and my sister moved to Europe?

Please tell me why I should feel guilty that I have a life - a life that my BLOOD relatives care nothing about?


Please.

Tell.

Me.





4 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

You shouldn't feel guilty. It's their problem that they can't move on and they are stuck frozen in time.

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

I second Zoe - ixnay on the uiltgay. Sounds like you've evolved while they, well, haven't.

3:27 PM

 
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

oh my god, are we related? seriously, i just took a trip to georgia to visit my own family and it was *exactly* as you describe. they're always telling me they wish i lived closer, wish i'd visit more, but that's bullshit! they're don't want ME closer, they want some fantasy version of me closer. they aren't actually interested in ME at all. i keep having to dismantle the guilt receptors over and over again to try and keep myself from feeling it.

1:22 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Easy to say "you shouldn't feel guilty" and quite another thing for you to actually NOT FEEL GUILTY. Only you know why you feel as you do t2. I hate to say it but those fucking 'unresolved issues' with our families will continue to haunt us forever in one form or another- until we deal with them head on. I think feeling guilt is a way for us to kind of beat up on ourselves. We wouldn't feel guilty if we were 100% healthy and secure with who we are-deeply. After all your family is just being who they are, they're not hand feeding you the guilt like you're a baby being spoon fed-the guilty feeling comes from your own stuff. They are stuck, and you're not but dealing with that isn't so simple. Soon you'll be able to listen to their words and it will have ZERO effect-But in the end I am sorry you feel the guilt, I know from experience it doesn't feel so good. (sorry so long)

2:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home