Online musings of everyday life....

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Distant Ramblings

It’s finally cooler outside. When Monday it was 85 degrees and then it dropped with the rain. Last night I was getting ready to meet friends out for a drink. The house was cold and breezy. I felt a chill and ran around to shut all the windows much to my cats’ distain. Animals tend to get CRAZY the first scent of fall and the weather cooling off. Even my old cats have all their toys out on the kitchen floor when I come home these days. I will be watching TV and hear a crash in the other room and sure that half the house has fallen in when it’s only my cats playing with each other – slamming into furniture and knocking things over. My drum set cymbals reverberating the whole time.

I back the thermostat down to 65. I have a big house and heating it is a bitch. Well, it’s not the furnace. No the house will get toasty warm in a matter of minutes but my gas bill will be north of $200. Gas companies suck! Yeah, let’s jack up the rates when we need heat. In the summertime when the only thing I use gas for is for my hot water heater the rates are at the lowest. I sign a new contract with a gas company every year before winter to ensure I lock in my rates.

I want to be in Florida – so bad this week. I want to be with my two friends down there. Running every morning with J and taking the dogs for a walk on the beach. Snapping on the harness of the smaller of the two dachshunds, Barry. Watching the tide come up. I want to be there but I do not know how to do it. What would I do for a living down there? How would I sell my house in this market? Oh well. More thoughts on this to continue, I’m sure.

I throw on my fur lined sweatshirt and feel the softness and warmth envelope me. OH MY GODDESS! I am not going to be out of this thing all winter! It will be like Little House on the Prairie where they sew themselves into that red long underwear with the flap in the back. Did they really do that? I need to study, I need to study, I need to study!! But when? I am too busy. I will study non-stop all weekend. I have to!

I want to be in Florida.

Driving to a new place to meet friends. I hope there’s not a bunch of rug rats running around. I hope they have the game on. I hope it doesn’t suck. I park and there ‘s a couple with three kids running around just outside the door. Sigh. Welcome to Decatur.
As I make my way around them I see on the door “No one under 21 allowed in bar” I smile. I like this place already. I go in. The bar is nice – it is separated from the restaurant well. It is quiet. There is no smoke and no children. There are 3 wide screen TV’s showing the game. Ahhhhh! This is GREAT! My two friends wave from the corner table. I forget everything and go have drinks with them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

The dog this morning insisted on sitting out on the balcony. It was 46 degrees outside.

5:03 PM

 
Blogger SassyFemme said...

I'm kicking myself for not locking in a lower oil rate. We just got the minimum fill on the tank, which brought it to 3/4 full, and it was $427. For now that should last at least 6-7 weeks (I hope), but in the coldest part of the winter that's 3 weeks worth. Ugh.

7:53 PM

 
Blogger J said...

Winter in my parts is nasty. It can get as cold as -40! Heating costs here can be outrageous. I think Florida sounds like a good idea!

2:37 PM

 
Blogger afuntanilla said...

what is it about florida? why there? curious...

7:58 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Don't worry, Florida's not going anywhere- you'll soon be a part of it! Keep your eye on the prize... that's my advice.

7:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home