Online musings of everyday life....

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Day One

Yay! I'm here! (and, it took me forever just to type that on my sister's german keyboard!!)
My flight was good, I got to the airport in plenty of time to get checked in, eat lunch and drink a few (hair of the dog) beers before I got on the plane. They gave me a window seat on the exit door aisle and afterdinner and a movie I put my neck pillow on and my eye cover threw the blanket over my head and went to sleep.
Once in Zurich I found my bag realatively easy and walked out and there was my sister! I noticed that the airport itself was very quiet and people spoke in low voices. It was very relaxing. It was also attached to a number of stores and cafe`s and we immediately ordered latte`s and sat down and had a cigarette. (smoking is very relaxed here.) After that, we got on the train and took it to Lucerne -here`s a pic.

In the pic is a the water tower and Chapel Bridge that goes over a portion of the lake. There was a Christmas market there yesterday and we shopped and had lunch. It was very beautiful! Most of the people spoke swiss german mixed with french but were very polite. My sister managed well with broken swiss german/english. However, most of the signage is in english, too.
After walking around much of the afternoon we walked back to the train station and took the train for just a few stops to where my sister`s apartment is which is a small outskirt of Lucerne called Horw (pronounced "Horv"). We wheeled my bags up a running/walking trail from the train station and there was her apartment. It`s very contemporary inside with hardwood floors, marble bathrooms (noticed that was plural!) and very large for european standards. Yes, my sister is a clothes horse like myself and needed a third bedroom just to put clothes. She has a view of Mount Pilatus from her balcony.
After showing me around her apartment and her new little car down in the (semi-heated) garage under the building we went to the grocery store which was named "Coop" (pronounced "cope" like co-op) to get stuff for dinner. The store itself was amazing! Everything was vacum packed - the meats, cheeses, pate` and there were hundreds of yogurts to choose from. Several choices of fondues which we bought to have.
After dinner and a movie I crashed hard into the oblivion of sleep.
We take the train to Zurich tonight to catch the train to Paris. Our train trip to Paris is 8 hours and my sister up graded my swiss rail pass to a sleeper car so we get to sleep. We wake up at 8 a.m. to Paris. "Bonjour, la ville de beuatiful"

9 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

It sounds like the trip is going well, T2. Where your sister lives sounds absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for giving us a glimpse. I look forward to more reports along the way.

9:44 AM

 
Blogger afuntanilla said...

wow. sounds great. thx for posting pics so we can see what u see!! have fun and be safe

10:47 AM

 
Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

Wow sounds gorgeous, mount pilatus is a breathtaking sight, thanks for sharing :-)

Enjoy you time with your sister hun X

12:03 PM

 
Blogger poet said...

another great reason i became a member of the blogasphere. i get to travel by way of other blogfriends. enjoy your time with your sister. (hair of the dog, oh yeah i recall one of those flights...a long,long time ago. anyway, take care, poet

2:33 PM

 
Blogger jromer said...

thank you for so generously taking the time out of this much deserved trip to share/ show us what you see!

3:21 PM

 
Blogger Maggie said...

Way too cool! Thanks for the pictures!

5:15 PM

 
Blogger SassyFemme said...

That picture of Mount Pilatus is breath taking! Enjoy the trip, and hope we get to see lots more pictures!

10:39 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Hey t2, enjoy the sights, sounds and tastes! Glad you made it ok-

7:48 PM

 
Blogger The Snarkess said...

Wooo wooo!

Have a great time with your sis, Trin, and thanks for giving us a little taste! I LOVED Europe when I went there - just be sure you come back, now. We can't have you not posting because of crazy German keyboards, now...

3:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home