Online musings of everyday life....

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Running Part IV

(Ok, last running entry I swear! I'm sorry if I have been boring my non-running readers with all this stuff.)

Running = Independence

Why? (and, you know I'm gonna tell you ;-)

WHERE ARE YOU GOING?” my father shouts from the barn as I try to get into my car without being noticed. It is 1984, I am 16 and have my first car – a ’81 Mustang coupe and I cannot wait to get as far away from that farm as possible.

For almost half of my life I could not do anything or go anywhere without checking in with someone my whereabouts. My father was (and, still is) a control freak and enjoyed telling me when and where I could not go. My mother was the constant worrier that never wanted me to leave. "Don’t drive after dark, why are you going there, something could happen", etc. When I was in high school I joined track just because it was something I was good at, it kept me away from home longer and I got out of alot of farm work that way.


When I went to college I ran on my own and I started to keep things from them. I traveled to places like California when they had no idea. I went to Chicago, Pennsylvania, Florida. Sometimes my mother would find out that I went to these places without telling her and she would be very angry with me and ask why I didn’t tell her and I would say, “Because I didn’t want you to worry”.

When I graduated from college and moved to Atlanta I almost immediately met and moved in with the woman I have had my longest relationship with. She was exactly like my mother(Especially, when it came to buying a motorcycle).

That relationship ended almost simultaneously with my mother’s death. And, since then I have lived alone for many years (and, bought a motorcycle). I do not check in with anyone (unless, of course it's my boss on company time). Most of the time I don’t impart information of what I am doing or where I am going unless I am making plans with someone.

I find I like it this way.

I think that is why I like to run so much. I am out the door and down the street – not really knowing what my route is or where I am going. I don’t have to plan anything, talk to anyone about it or wait until a certain time. I don’t need anyone else to motivate me to do it.
I am solely on my own.

So, when I talk about running people say, “You should train for a marathon.”
I find this statement ridiculous. Why do I have to train for anything? Not everyone runs to train for a race or marathon.

It’s like saying that because you like to shop in the produce section of the grocery store that you should raise vegetables in a greenhouse!
(I love shopping here but that doesn't mean I want to raise all these things!)

Runner friend: “Why don’t you join my running group?”

Me: “Sure but I have to see how my vegetables are doing in the greenhouse before I can commit


(Hey, can you get that tractor out of the way - it's on my running shoe)

5 Comments:

Blogger r.d. said...

Dude, I've missed all your running posts... what's going on?! You got escaping on the brain or what?

I feel like a slouch- I haven't been running in weeks- good job t2, keep it up. It's good for you in more ways than one (if you know what I mean)

4:14 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Oh, and just for the record I say don't move in together until you have no doubt that you couldn't imagine living without her anymore. You'll regret it if you're not ready- for whatever reason... (the real reasons will come later) Plus if you do you can kiss your "alone" time goodbye-That's all I'll say.

10:54 PM

 
Blogger J said...

I am a non-runner but can equate this to my gym workouts (even though I have to drag myself to the gym most days). Once I am in them the midst of a workout everything melts away and I escape from the worries of everyday. So no need to worry about the multitude of running posts...I enjoy them even though I am not a runner. Hell, it might even convince me to try it on a more frequent basis!

11:47 PM

 
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

thanks for commenting over on my blog. i'll be in your neck of the woods starting tomorrow, though i won't quite get as far down as hotlanta. i'll be up in rabun gap, in the mountains with my family. wish me luck.

4:26 PM

 
Blogger afuntanilla said...

i'm glad i never asked you to join a running group! :)

8:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home