Online musings of everyday life....

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Cabin Fever

I am proud to say that I survived the weekend at the lake! Thankfully, the hotdog was gone this year! (I think someone must have had the same experience and popped it!) Although, I have much soreness from my wakeboarding experience on Saturday and a few bug bites in some suspicious places – that does it – I’m not sleeping in the attic of the main cabin next year!

I managed to sneak out of work early (2:00!) on Friday and make it up to the cabin by 4:00! J, Y & GF were already there and we swam and hung out at the dock. Everyone else showed up around 6ish and we all hopped on the boat and took a sunset cruise and had shrimp cocktail. Once back at the cabin, the straggling few that had to unfortunately work late came in and we all made a feast of every possible thing you could grill with spicy slaw and corn on the cob. Everyone was quite animated that first night having conversations on both of the cabin’s decks with a heated scrabble game going and much drinking!

The next day I got up and decided to take a run on the gravel roads around the lake. As I started off on the steep, rocky drive I thought maybe it wasn’t such a good idea after all. Once on the main road the terrain evened out as well as my breathing and I managed to get in a super run looking at all the cabins and breathtaking views of the lake. I finished off the run with a steep climb up an adjoining driveway to the cabin and went flying down the slope and dove into the lake. Ahhhh – a wonderful way to cool off after a run! I wished that I could do that after all my runs!

After a great breakfast we all went down to the dock and laid out and swam. Later, J came down with the boat keys and I scrambled up the slope to get the wakeboard that had been leaning against the deck since we got there. In the boathouse I picked out a lifejacket that I could cinch tight. (I really wanted the Batman one but it was too small) Once on the water, feet in the board, rope in front I told S, who was driving the boat that wake boarder’s need more initial speed than skiers. We gave each other the thumbs up – me, bracing myself, GF watching taking pics. S proceeds to whip the throttle of the boat causing me to fly up out of the water and come crashing down on my face, ripping my feet out of the board’s boots. As the boat circles around S looks at me and says “Was that ok?” I said, “Maybe just a TAD BIT less speed” We finally got the speed issue worked out and I was able to make a few laps around the lake before letting go of the rope and giving in to my screaming knees.

The rest of the day we spent in the water, floating around the dock and having many cocktails. We had another excellent feast of BBQ from
this place. (Which, has the best Brunswick stew in the whole world J says.)

Later that evening I was getting the feeling of being trapped at an all night slumber party where I was the only one who wanted to go to sleep! Sunday morning I woke with bags under my eyes and soreness in my back from wakeboarding. As I crawled down the loft steps for coffee, I couldn’t wait to get home to my nice, quiet, air-conditioned house where there weren’t 20 different conversations going on at once.

All in all it was great to get away and I think we all had a wonderful time! Chock up another great weekend at J’s cabins on the lake!

(here's a better pic of me r.d. ;-)


Blogger r.d. said...

Sounds great t2, glad you had a good time. Nice photo...

7:40 PM

Blogger Maggie said...

I'm having trouble may be a shitload of posts from me...sorry!!!

10:06 PM


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home