Online musings of everyday life....

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Techno and Saturday

Ok, after muuuuuuuch thought and obsessing I have decided to stick with the 'crackberry' a little longer. Primarily for two reasons. The first one being that I am an email WHORE (as well as a Gadget QUEEN) and not only can I recieve my work email on my blackberry but it also has it's own independent email address associated with it. Sometimes, one wants to email things WITHOUT going thru the company server - catch my drift? And, the 8125 does not have it's own email address associated with it - you have to either have it go thru your company email address, home email address or access your pop email account (yahoo, msn, etc) through it's web browser - which can be very slow going if you are not in a wi-fi hot spot.

2nd - I have skipped my blackberry across the pavement on several occasions (not out of frustration but accidentaly) and the thing still works! It's a durrable little thing! I am a clutz when it comes to dropping things so any cell phone or pda device better be durrable or else I will bust it immediately upon recieving it. (Yes, my father used to tell me I could bust a crowbar and I actually DID as a child - I also tore up major farm equipment much to my enjoyment and his chagrin) I've also had insurance on every cell phone I've ever had if that tells you anything. So, this little 8125 doesn't look too durable to me. It looks like one skip across the parking lot and it would be like "Yeah, I'm done!"

So, I had to ask myself what is the primary goal here? Portable computer or email access? And, I have to go with the later - especially, since I spent a boatload of money on this [small, tiny] laptop which I LOVE!(And, also have insurance on!)

My advice is this: if you're looking for an actual portable computer then get the 8125. But, if simple phone calls, email and text messaging is important then get a regular cell phone or blackberry.

Also - GF and parents made it in one piece on the float plane out of Alaska and all is well! :-)

Happy Saturday and weekend everyone!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Yay! Glad to read that everyone made it safely. (Tell her to send the fish stories my way....love them. Does she tie her own flies? What did she use up there?)

7:09 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Backing up a little... "honey"? just for the record I can't stand it when anyone calls me honey. Maybe it's a thing you do? just putting it out there t2. Glad gf got home safely-

7:16 PM

 
Blogger Trinity2 said...

Maggie - the fishing and fly thing is too boring for me to go into right now. I am just happy she's back - fish stories and all!
RD sorry if I offended you - it's a southern thang is all.

8:16 AM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Apologie accepted- damn the South...

8:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home