Online musings of everyday life....

Monday, October 30, 2006

Special Addition – and, some advice

If you have read any of my earlier posts you know that part-time I am a motorcycle instructor. I teach people how to ride a motorcycle – sometimes people who have never been on a bike before. The people I have taught in the past are of all walks of life – mothers, fathers, kids, aunts, uncles – of all ages.

And, most of you know that I recently did motorcycle crew for the 3-day breast cancer walk. I know I haven’t told you all this but it was an incredibly wonderful experience.

And, most of you also know that I have recently started a new job that takes up a lot of my time and that I am really career orientated right now. Because of which, I have been teaching a lot less these days and really considering getting out of the teaching motorcycle business.

Especially now after doing the 3-day crew.

Crewing for the 3-day I felt like I was really making a difference. Keeping the walkers spirits up, cheering them on, keeping them safe on their path of travel. There were people walking who were undergoing chemo. People who had a wife, sister, Dad (even) or some family member or friend who was affected by breast cancer. Or they were a survivor of breast cancer. Those were the people who brought tears to my eyes. They made such a difference. These are people who had or have their lives pass right in front of their eyes. This is life and death.

So, after coming off the 3-day and going into work on Monday partially hung over emotionally I was faced with the everyday things. Environmental reports, construction plans, clients. Blah, blah, f-ing blah!

Soooooo, what!

Is someone going to die if this road doesn’t get built? No. Is someone going to die if they don’t pass their motorcycle test and get their license? Well, let’s hope not!

I have felt depressed and wonder what does it all matter? These culverts, roads, environmental reports, some class? People are dying of breast cancer, here!

THAT MATTERS!

So, I have been considering really letting the instructor thing go. I am not sure I care about whiney people in my class that just spent $20,000 on a Harley and need their license RIGHT AWAY so they can ride. Whoopie- f-ing – DO!

So, people – help me here. I need your advice blogroll.

As The Clash sings “Should I stay or should I go now?”

Please help me see that this is important. If I am not convinced soon then I will surely quit.

And, btw –

I signed up again to crew the 3-day next year!

5 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

In my opinion...I've seen how happy you are to do this. Or that's how your posts come across. It may sound trivial, but you are doing a good thing teaching people the correct way to ride. You probably saved more lives than you know.

8:20 PM

 
Blogger afuntanilla said...

I can't believe you are considering this!! You seem to really enjoy it and you are helping people. You are teaching them great things, especially SAFETY. What you teach them could save their life, my life, your life..anyone's life...

7:54 AM

 
Blogger Rissamama3 said...

The thing I think you should concider when weighing your options here is that you are showing people how to be safe on a bike and even though you may not see the difference there is one. People who ride properly are safer than people who just hop on and ride with out being taught the proper precautions. You are showing them how to be safe and maybe saving there lives that way.

Just a thought either way what you did for the walk was tremendous and you should be proud.

8:43 AM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Here's what I think. The fact that you are questioning having more meaning in your life is great and you should follow through with that but making snap decisions about what to let go of in order to get there is not the way to go.

It's not so simple as "should you go or stay"- you can have it all t2. Relax and work it out.

10:19 AM

 
Blogger The Snarkess said...

I dunno, Trin...if I can give any advice, it's to give this one a few weeks to marinate before you decide. Something as meaningful as the 3-day crew can really throw a wrench into your everyday life. All of a sudden, you feel alive, rejuvenated, full of meaning; the day-to-day minutia of a regular job can pale in comparison.

But even something as wonderful as the walk might not necessarily translate into day-to-day fulfillment any more than your day job, or even your instructing, if you had to do it all the time. (Maybe it will, though.) It was an intense, concentrated effort over only three days in a tight team...but you were doing the same thing day in and day out, including rain, hangovers, not enough sleep, cramps, and the bureaucratic red tape and politics you sometimes find at not-for-profit agencies, you might find yourself just as disillusioned as with your other job. Or, it could be the greatest experience ever. Maybe a transition would be to volunteer a couple of nights a week in that area to see if you truly love it over a longer period of time, and if you do, then consider putting your instructing on hold. But that's just me playing devil's advocate. You should follow your heart.

From what I've ever heard, you are passionate about motorcycling and passionate about ensuring that those people out on the road have the absolute best set of skills they can have to keep themselves and other people safe. That's pretty important, if you ask me, and I always got the feeling that you love it...you might just not be getting the right recognition for the amazing job you do!

So here it is...your students probably brag about you for years after they take your course. Their parents probably bless you in their prayers if their children avoid an accident because of something you taught them, and the police and doctors and ER nurses also appreciate that fewer people come their way because you give up your nights in the rain and cold for people who don't always remember to say thank you :)

1:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home