Online musings of everyday life....

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Getting ready for the boob walk

If you read my previous post of “Strength can take a flying leap” then you know that my mother passed away 7 years ago from breast cancer. For the first time last year I decided to participate in the 3-day walk hosted in Atlanta. I had no idea at the time what I was getting myself into when I signed up. But, I was definitely in for a journey, emotionally and physically.

After signing up I started doing fundraising immediately because I had to raise at least $2,100 to participate as a walker. I had never raised that much money before so I had no idea what to do – go door to door? Sell cookies? What? Fortunately, my friends [family] were very supportive. I had a party that included food and drink that I spent about $200 to put together and got over $1,000 in donations. I asked people at work. I even had friends of friends give me donations as they had a relative, friend, significant other that was affected somehow by breast cancer. It all turned into a very small world of friendship and support.

Shortly, after signing up I got an email from my “Mentor”. I didn’t know I had one! The email she sent introducing herself and telling her story of why she walked touched me so deeply. I immediately wrote her back and arranged to meet up for training walks with her.

Training walks? Why do I need those? I’m a runner! I’ve run ½ marathons! Why do I need to train for this? Can’t I just do my regular running schedule and pump up the mileage like I am running a marathon?

Nope.

For one thing, the body, legs, feet use different muscles to walk than to run. (Especially the feet!) You have to actually train your body walk for long distances, to get used to the constant pounding mile after mile. You have to train your mind to say “I will do 20 miles today!” Because, let me tell you – after 16 miles my body was saying “F-YOU! I-want-to-go-home-and-have-a-beer-and-sit-on-my-ass and WHY CAN’T WE DO THAT?!!”

So, I was set. I was at my goal donation-wise. I had trained for my walk and was packed and ready to go. I was ready physically, but was I mentally?

The opening ceremonies GF drove me over and helped me put my bag on the truck that was carrying all our gear to camp that night. I checked in and grabbed some coffee and we waited for the opening ceremony to begin. It was dark, I was kinda cold, and feeling like the first time going off to camp. I huddled to GF for comfort and almost wished we were back in her warm bed. Then, the speaker took to the stage and the minute she opened her mouth I got goose bumps from the strength of her voice and what she said. By the time she was finished and music was playing to start our walk I had tears in my eyes and I was pumped up to do this thing – YEAH! We strode down the streets starting our walk, people cheering us on and we were on our way!

By mile 16 (as I said before) my body was hurting. Unfortunately, the route was a little messed up last year as we ended up walking some 25 miles on the first day (Yeah – and, I only barely trained for 20 and it was a big stretch for me and many others!) 26 the second day (people were dropping like flies in camp that night) and 15 the last day. (I’m not good at math but that’s more than 60 miles!)

Great moments:

There was this group of ladies that were all going thru chemo, had wigs on or bald heads that went to EVERY cheering station to cheer us on and thank us. I wanted to bawl every time I saw them! They were so amazing
!


Walking up Candlier Road (which was on an incline) to camp 2 with my friend and fellow walker, L, singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall to keep our minds off our aching bodies. (We made it to 43, btw)

Limping in to the closing ceremonies I had ace bandages on both my knees, two of those break-and-use ice packs shoved down my pants for my aching hip joints, and BIO-Freeze lathered all over my body! But, I didn’t care because I DID IT! For Mom! And, then for

others suffering from breast cancer and for

myself.

I am on motorcycle crew this year with some of my instructor buds (who I talked into doing this). The girls I walked with last year are doing regular crew. I can’t wait to cheer all the walkers on! If you need an organization to donate to, need inspiration in your life, need to train for something big, want to feel a part of something big and know you helped thousands of people? Then, do a
3-day near you! Volunteer, walk, donate, you name it!

Oh, and one last thing – it’s breast cancer awareness month so ladies, check yer boobs!




4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

All the best for the walk, T2. I just had my mammogram yesterday morning, so breast health is very much on my mind.

1:04 PM

 
Blogger afuntanilla said...

i'm so glad you are participating in this again! and yes, things like this are so awesome to be a part of...you, go girl

4:20 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

I applaud you t2! When is this thing happening?

8:38 PM

 
Blogger Trinity2 said...

Kelly - good for you!
Afunt - thanks!
R.D. - It's happening this week. We have to train all day on Thurs. and Friday - Sunday is the walk!

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home