Online musings of everyday life....

Friday, October 06, 2006

'Tis the Season"

“Deck the halls with boughs of hockey,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to be jolly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Don we now our gay [hockey] apparel,
Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
Troll [for] the ancient Yule tide carol,
Fa la la la la, la la la f-ing - la.”

Yeah, and as I say every year – the ONLY good thing about winter is HOCKEY!! Afunt and I went to see our city’s beloved hockey team last night. And, almost got thrown in JAIL! (Nothing new for me but, hey, for Afunt - it mighta beena big deal, ya know? ;-)

We had decided to purchase tickets on the street once we got there since we have always gotten really good seats for cheap this way. Upon parking and walking up to the CNN center we wondered why we hadn’t seen anyone yelling out “Tickets!” the whole way up to the building like we ususally do.

I saw a guy holding [what looked like] really good box tickets (I can spot them a mile away) and asked him if he was selling them. He replied “Yes” and we offered him $40 each for them. (I was right- $86 face value – they were level 1 tickets – 7th row from the glass!) As we were getting ready to hand him the money a cop came up and said “Buddy! You cannot sell those here! You must go at least 1,000 feet from the venue before you are allowed to sell them.” No wonder we didn’t see many people selling tickets. He said, “Ok", and we all walked a little further and tried to do our transaction again and the cop came [again] and threatened arrest. Yikes! I mean, really, you would have thought we were trying to buy crack or something instead of hockey tickets! SHEESH!

So, we finally got FAR ENOUGH away from the cop to make our transaction – yeah, we didn’t have a tape measure, we weren’t pacing off the 1,000 lineal feet or anything so in essence we could have been arrested.

“Hey, I’m in the clink for buying a kilo of coke! How ‘bout you?”
“Umm,yeah, I just wanted to get into the hockey game?”

Anyway, once inside we got these nice, fuzzy Thrasher’s scarves to wear around our necks and they turned out to be quite nice later when we walked into the arena and the temperature drops about 20 degrees. (Afunt was actually trying to wrap her scarf all the way around her body to keep warm!)

All in all it was great seats, great fun but we lost in double overtime and a shootout. UGH! I hope this isn’t a bad omen for the season. And, to make things worse, we were beaten by our division rival who beat us out of the playoffs spot last year. But, regardless - they have a die-hard fan here! I will still go to the games whether they are good or not (and even if it does risk arrest to get good seats!) But, it’s always nice to hope for a good year!

GO TEAM!

8 Comments:

Blogger afuntanilla said...

yeah, fun! you failed to mention the big-haired woman in front of us who looked more like she belonged at a Nascar event. I don't even know how much of the game she watched since she was taking pics the whole time.

also, i was about the wrap the scarf around my bare feet in my birkenstocks!!

Welcome to BLUUUEEEELAND!

4:43 PM

 
Blogger Maggie said...

Okay, getting thrown into the clink for hockey tickets is completely "rock star"!

5:07 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

I've never been bitten by the hockey bug. If I don't understand the rules of a sport I just can't get into it. Perhaps it reminds me too much of soccer and the lack of scoring. (Although, hasn't that changed a bit over the last couple of years?)

I'm glad you two had fun and didn't end up in the pokey. Here's hoping the Thrashers have more success in the next game. :)

9:29 PM

 
Blogger The Snarkess said...

Wooooo woooooo! Hockey season!

The Nucks won last night, too. I can't wait for my first live game this year. There is nothing more fun than drinking $8 beer in plastic cups and watching strapping young Canadians with no teeth ram each other into the boards.

Kell...you don't know what you're missing - but if I can give you a word of advice - go to a live game and you'll get into it. Hockey on TV just isn't the same. Although I'll take it any way I can get it. :)

3:03 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Claire,

I'm sure you're right about in-person versus T.V. hockey. Maybe I'll attempt to take in a Sharks game this year.

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Rissamama3 said...

" ummm officer can I get 1 blog instead of a phone call?" hehe!

Glad you guys had fun, Hockey iss best seen live and up close.

Kelly I was like you and didn't get hockey and my ex who was a hockey fanatic took me to a game that's when I got it!

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Trinity2 said...

Yeah, it's a good thing smoking wasn't allowed in that place because that woman had enough Final Net on that we would have all gone up in flames if someone lit up!
Claire I would think where you live it would almost be a crime not to love hockey!
Kelly/Betty - yes, Afunt was "what's the big deal?" until we went to a game. What out, you'll catch the fever!

7:53 AM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

I think that growing up in San Francisco didn't lend itself to hockey. I'm still amazed that the Bay Area has been able to sustain a hockey team. Must be all those transplants from places where hockey is actually played! :)

10:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home