Online musings of everyday life....

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Taking on the world and then some…..

Ok, so maybe I didn't take much of a break. (Are you relieved, r.d.?) I am back because finally, today, the sun is out!

I really needed this sun to appear. Funny how just a change in the weather raises the spirits and you feel like you can take on the world. Speaking of which…..

Ironically enough my relationship and gym membership both expired on the same day last week – can you guess what day?

On Halloween!

So, when it came to throwing down the credit card to pay for another year membership I hesitated. (ex)gf had gotten me into this gym and always made the remark that we couldn’t break up because we went to the same gym now. That it would be awkward if we ran into each, etc.

Now, don’t get me wrong – if I really wanted to go to this gym nothing would stop me – not even an ex.

But, it made me think about what it was the gym was doing for me lately. Yes, I had enjoyed P’s spin class on Saturday’s but I can’t get to them too often because of teaching and going out of town. Everything else about the gym was great but I admit I was bored with it.

So, (Claire) I went online and found a kickboxing gym and made an appointment for this past Monday. I arrived that evening after work and was greeted by some very perky women in ghi pants.

They rolled my bag onto the floor with everyone elses in the class, gave me water, gloves and said “Whatever you do, keep moving!”

I thought, “Hah! I can do this!” as I tapped my gloves together.

(Famous last words...)

Then, a blonde with a ponytail stepped to the front of the room, turned on the stereo and started saying “And, kick! And, punch! And, kick! And, punch! And, kick-punch! And,kick-punch!…….and so on until it was like And, kickandpunchandkickandkickandpunchand – SITUPS! "And,punchandkickandpunchandkickandkickand – PUSHUPS!"

So, after about 30 minutes I really thought I was going to have to go to the side and throw-up. (Wonder if that was ok as long as I kept moving?)

But, after the workout the back of my shirt was soaked and I felt immensely better. Yeah, picturing my ex’s face on that bag throughout, I had worked out most of my angst.

I would definitely be coming back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

Definitly sounds like much more fun than going to the gym.

12:31 PM

 
Blogger The Snarkess said...

YAY! Trin isn't it fun? And you never worry that you're wasting your time because at the end of it you KNOW you got a good workout.

For the first three weeks of classes I saw spots and thought I was going to throw up. Apparently it helps if you can slow and deepen your breathing when this happens. It helps me to get in control again.

Can't wait to hear how you're feeling in two days...that's when I get REALLY sore and limpy! But I'm so glad you're enjoying it!!

12:43 PM

 
Blogger DB said...

Used to love me some kickboxing classes... then the gym went out of business.

Now, I just row.

3:35 PM

 
Blogger Maggie said...

I LOVE kickboxing!! Love it, love it, love it!
Couldn't sign up for it this fall because of my wrist being operated on, but will definitely do it in the Spring!
Woo woo!!
Great job!

4:17 PM

 
Blogger Rissamama3 said...

T2 that's awesome you got to love the addreniline rush of a good workout. Glad you are in better spirits.

8:43 AM

 
Blogger afuntanilla said...

sounds like a great workout in more ways than one

2:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home