Online musings of everyday life....

Friday, February 02, 2007

Affairs

Had them?
Want to have them?
Never had them?
What?


r.d. wrote a very good post about affairs and how far does it actually have to go before it’s considered cheating. With my head pounding from the [many] tequila [and lists] shots of last night I am going to try to attempt this post.

First things first [gulp of strong coffee] yes, I have had affairs. Not many but the few I have had in the past I have paid for dearly. In fact, I have paid so many times over for having them that just the thought of it makes my head spin [or is that just my raging hangover?]. But, I have had them for different reasons.

One was just a mutual attraction. Another was because I wasn’t getting enough attention at home and wanted to make my lover jealous and pay attention to me more. That one ended up blowing up in my face – she left and I had no attention. The third was so the woman I was with WOULD break up with me. I wanted her gone, tried to break up with her many times and she wouldn’t LEAVE. So, I had an affair and told her about it – she left. It worked wonderfully!

But, lets back up, shall we?

What is considered an affair? Is it just the physical act of kissing and having sex that it’s considered an affair? Or is it when someone starts having an emotional bond with someone else that’s not their significant other?

One of the affairs that I paid for dearly was when one of my previous gf’s [practically] left me at the alter. [ok, going to write about this shit – another gulp of coffee and rolling up my sleeves]

Once upon a time - well, the last woman I was in love with (and, no – it wasn’t last gf – that’s why we broke up – simple as that) I asked to marry me. I get a little queasy thinking that I could actually be married right now [again, maybe it’s the hangover]. We had a year engagement after I asked her. During which we were out one night celebrating our engagement [showing off her ring – which, I finally finished paying for] and a “friend” of hers was there. I found out later [as she tearfully told me at the humongous cabin we rented] that this friend approached her and asked her if she was absolutely sure she wanted to marry me and then confessed that they were in love with her. Well, this, my friend’s, is all she wrote. The fat lady just sung, here. Ca-poot! What I am saying is this is all it took to put doubt in her head and afterwards they started [what I believe] an emotional affair that lasted all the way up until two months before the actual wedding. But, the whole time she denied actually having an affair. That they never had any physical contact until after we had broken up.

So, what do you think? Was it an affair? Or wasn't it?

Now, I know what you’re all thinking. [at least I think I do] it’s better this way. Thank Goddess you didn’t marry this girl. She didn’t love you – blah, blah, blah. If someone can change her mind that easily then it’s for the best – blah, blah, blah. Or [what I'm thinking] how could you be so stupid and not break up with her ass immediately?And, of course, the age-old phrase:

It simply wasn’t meant to be.

Goddess, I HATE that phase! WHATEVER! Maybe I wanted to get married on the beach in Hawaii with my white Armani suit and be in love! [I’m having my little hissy fit]

Dammit.

Anyway, all those affairs I mentioned before – I paid dearly for them. Because we all know [another age-old phrase]

What comes around, goes around.

Wouldn’t it just be easier to break up with their ass?

Oh, and that "friend" she left me for? They're MARRIED now!

7 Comments:

Blogger storm indigo said...

whew, I think i need a drink for this one, trin.

Ok, i do think that a secret attachment outside of your relationship is an affair, whether it's physical or emotional. I have allowed myself to carry on one e-mail correspondence that i needed because my relationship was over and we were just miserable; home was hell and i should have just left.

I don't have the energy for an actual affair at this point. It costs far too much. I know that when i am looking around it's time to leave because although i notice that other women are attractive, i rarely am attracted to others when i am in love. So if it happens there is a bigger issue.

I want that wedding in Hawaii for you (bet you'll look great in that white Armani suit). Hell, I want one of my own, but I want it to be right and for keeps.

1:57 AM

 
Blogger jromer said...

hey trinity, i think you'll get what you want someday. i don't see why not, hawaii, white suit and all.
anyway, i think of something someone once said about how to tell when you're being unfaithful....picture yourself in a room alone with the person who might be your partner in this possible affair. you might be laughing. you might be telling secrets. you might be lingering over that third glass of wine. now stop, rewind. now go through it all again with your significant other sittting right there. would they dig it? there's your answer.

6:00 AM

 
Blogger Zoe said...

I cheated on one particular boyfriend more than once, I was 19 or 20. The guilt nearly killed me and I vowed that I would never cheat again, in that relationship or any other. But that is not to say that I have never been tempted since then. I've had a few particular instances in my mid and late 20's where it's taken everything I had to not act on an urge. But, I was able to maintain control, extract myself from the situation and evaluate what was going on with me.

My 20's were not easy times in my life, and the temptation to cheat had nothing to do with my relationship, it was about me. It was about me being young and dumb and being afraid that this was it, I was 20 something and this was the rest of my life. And any of you who know me and my obsession for the need to be certain could maybe understand why this would be hard so for me. BP would be the first,last, and only girl I would ever kiss. Hell the last person I would be with. How would I know that I was really a lesbian, I mean I was still attracted to guys and it was really confusing. Did I cheat? I don't think so. I never crossed that line to the physical, and I never took away from our relationship. I came through those experiences with greater clarity.

As far as your ex is concerned, it was an affair, in my opinion. I think if you are emotionally invested elsewhere and it causes you to pull away from your relationship, and not return to it, whether anything physical happened or not,it's an affair.

2:33 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

Definately an affair. In response to Storm's words, I can be attracted to other women (and am)but not want to sleep with them. Finding someone attractive and being drawn to them sexually is only because we are human. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the solidity of your current relationship. I have no desire to be with anyone other than my (C)love. So much comes into play between the attraction and the physical act itself-whatever that may be. If and only if I ever find myself acting on a desire will I question my current relationship. I did once- once was all I needed. I was a young punk and questioning all of it. In the big picture it seemed like it may have been necessary.

You may have been afraid t2, in the past, which is why you had all that turmoil. You're a stronger, wiser person now (I think) so your woman will show up in your life when it's time and when you're ready. There's always a reason why someone 'cheats'. It doesn't have to be the end of the world, as long as you understand what's behind it. It's all about karma or your 'intent'. Hope you feel better. I'm impressed, thinking about all that would have made my head burst. Good job.

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Having experienced more than enough intense, non-sexual relationships with other women as well as some sexual ones, I can say categorically that the physical act isn't where I place the start of a relationship, including an affair.

An affair, like any relationship, begins with a thought and with a feeling. If that thought or feeling crosses into something physical, then it certainly becomes something more serious and often more dangerous.

I've never had an affair and I don't want to have one. I'm monogamous to a fault when I'm dating. When I'm interested in a woman, she's all I see. I may notice if someone else is attractive, but the only one I want is the woman for whom I've fallen.

That being said, I've been alone more than I've been in relationships. I just never want to settle for less than I should. Maybe that's another reason why an affair has never appealed to me.

11:23 PM

 
Blogger High Maintenance Femme said...

I have had affairs in the past. One was with a married woman and it totally ruined my life for a long time and I bare the scars today. Another was with a woman who was a close friend at the time who had a boyfriend, she stopped sleeping with him and started sleeping with me, and if I’m honest, I didn’t feel at all guilty because I was young and having fun and I didn’t particularly like the guy she was seeing. I have also kissed other women while in relationships, and I wouldn’t class them as affairs at all because there was no emotional connection and not enough of a physical one for me to call it cheating. /I think the question what is an affair is a tricky one to answer. I agree with everyone else in terms of emotions, if you are being diverted away from your relationship because you’re thinking about another person then yes, it is an emotional affair to a certain extent even if there is no physical activity involved. This type can even be more powerful than a physical affair because emotions can be so intense. In the physical sense, if a partner kissed some one else I wouldn’t call it an affair, but if they saw that person again in the same situation and it happened again then yes, I would say it would be the beginnings of something. I guess the physical comes down to what you would class as cheating, and I think that’s different for everyone. I would like to think that I would not have an affair again, bare in mind by this I mean seeing some one who is in a relationship themselves, because I would never cheat on a partner having learned from past experience, and yes I have been tempted sometimes. There is a woman however who I am very attracted to at the moment and she has a girlfriend. Her girlfriend is not a friend of mine, because if she was it’d be a totally different ball game because I wouldn’t even consider it. I know this girl is mutually attracted to me, but I would never initiate anything because she's in a relationship. But what would I do if she initiated something? I don’t know. If I were being selfish I would go ahead with it even though she’s in a relationship, but if I were to use my head and put myself in the position of her girlfriend, I wouldn’t. I just hope I’m never put in that situation with her lol because I don’t know which one would winn… A very thought provoking post, Trin.

6:48 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Emotional affairs entirely count.

1:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home