Online musings of everyday life....

Monday, July 17, 2006

For Auto Maintenance Tips - Go to the Drive-in!


How was everyone’s Meekend? Mine was good! I managed to make it to Pete’s spin class Saturday morning despite my late night at the drive-in the night before. The drive-in was an experience. I won’t start ripping off 10 things NOT to do at a drive-in (you know I want to) but I will mention a few.

By the time my friends and I made it into the front gate of the place it was already dark outside and the movies had started. We decided to go to the last screen to take in the movies "
Waist Deep" and "See No Evil". We parked, pulled out our lawn chairs and cooler and set up camp. While we're sitting there watching the movie, drinking beer and noshing on chips and salsa I notice that all around us people are working on their cars! One guy has his Range Rover pulled up and is jumping another guys Lexus. Then, an Explorer pulls up behind us and the radiator is steaming. He gets out to pop the hood and it looks like he is about to start unscrewing the cap. I am observing this as my friends are chatting away and I hop up and run over and said, “Looks like you’re having a radiator issue.” Just then, his girl, woman, lady, whatever pokes her head out the window and says “WE KNOW!” with hostility. I ignored her and told the guy that I just didn’t want him to get hurt trying to open up the radiator while it was steaming like that. He thanked me and went off to get some water. Ok, I’m just going to go back to my friends.

Ranting session #1: Why spend LOTS of money on a BIG suv with gold spinning rims if you DON’T PUT RADIATOR FLUID IN YOUR RADIATOR? And, why spend LOTS of money on that Lexus coupe with a chain license plate holder and HAVE TO BE JUMPED EVERYTIME YOU SHUT YOUR CAR OFF?

Anyway, back to the movie. La, la, la, la-la. Then, cars start cutting in and parking right in front of us and leaving them running with the windows rolled up and the air conditioning on the whole time the movies are going. My friends and I were starting to choke on exhaust fumes and finally D jumps up and asks the guy in front of us if he would be so kind to shut off his car because we’re practically dying of fumes back here. So, we managed to get one car shut off but we still had two others in front of us to contend with.

Ranting session #2:With the gas prices being the highest they have ever been and the drive-in movie costing just as much as going to a theater if you CAN'T WATCH A DRIVE-IN MOVIE WITHOUT RUNNING YOUR CAR AND THE AIRCONDITIONER THEN DON'T FREAKIN' GO TO THE DRIVE-IN! nuff said

So, despite the noise, fumes, and car maintenance going on all around us, my friends and I managed to have a good time catching up during the movies. And, I can’t even tell you what either of those movies were about except that the second one had this big wrestler-looking dude that kept chasing women in spike heels -that’s why they call them “serial-killer” heels because women ALWAYS have them on when they’re being chased by a serial killer. They always fall down and “get got”. You’d never see a lesbian in her sensible shoes get caught – that’s for sure!

5 Comments:

Blogger r.d. said...

Are those your shoes? Sorry I can't add anything to the drive in annoyances, the last time I went to one I think I may have been like five or something. I know I was in my pajamas and we were watching Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Unfortunately there are none around here. Sounds annoying though so I guess i'm glad there aren't any. I don't need anything else to annoy me.

6:52 PM

 
Blogger Trinity2 said...

No - but, I'm thinking of getting them! What do you think? Too sensible? I can run pretty fast...
I know - it was very annoying. If my friends and I hadn't been able to laugh about it we would have surely left!

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

This exercise in multi-tasking befuddles me. I would never think of combining auto repair and a drive-in movie. Then again, I don't get out much...

10:49 PM

 
Blogger The Snarkess said...

I had to waitress in high heels during university to pay the bills, and the restaurant was run by this really smarmy guy who insisted that we not only wear heels during an agonizingly long 8 hour shift, but also required tight-fitting clothing (apparently baggy = sloppy, riiiiiight) and skirts only ABOVE the knee.

So after two years, I could probably sprint an obstacle course in five inch heels without fliching.

But better yet, when in a horror movie and caught in impractical footwear, you just whip one of those bad boys off, and use the spike heel as a makeshift stabbing device.

Ha. Bring it on, Freddy.

2:00 PM

 
Blogger Zoe said...

I would't leave the house in those shoes, and I am someone who would wear socks with sandals.

2:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home