Online musings of everyday life....

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hot Child in the City

“Hot child in the city
Hot child in the city
Runnin' wild and lookin' pretty
Yeah"

"Hot child in the city"

"Come on down to my place, baby
We'll talk about love
Come on down to my place, woman
We'll make love!"

"Hot child in the city
Hot child in the city"

"She's kinda dangerous"

"Hot child in the city”

It has just been a scorcher of a week (and, everywhere else, I hear)! I’ve had the top down on the convertible on the way in to work everyday and then it’s promptly put up and never let down again until the next morning because it’s so hot. Riding around in a convertible is not all it’s cracked up to be when it’s over 90 degrees outside. It makes one feel like this:

Because of the hot days we’ve had lately it has caused me to fantasize about the beach, swimming in a pool – hell, (and feeling like we’re at the gates of) even a tepid Chattahoochee river would do! Two of my friends are heading off to the beach this weekend for a weeklong stay in a house with a bunch of other friends. I am so envious of them right now I am totally hating.. well, that's a strong word - maybe just hoping a period starts or there's some sand chafing..

But, I was invited to go. Because I have just started a new job I felt it would be pushing it to ask for a week off only 4 months after my date of hire. (Yeah, that would look bad) In fact, I have had so many invitations to go to the beach since I started this job I could scream!

In the past when I was with the government and had a month off a year I would have been down there every time I was asked – I love the beach so much. But, career choices and income often take the place of my beach time these days. Because of the many invites and not being able to make the beach this year until the wedding in August, I often fantasize about selling my house, leaving this city and relocating somewhere close to a beach, ocean, hell (not there) any old body of water at this point would do. It’s thoughts like this that cause me to wonder would the quality of my life be better? Or would I have sold everything to pin it all on a dream that turned out not to be all that was cracked up to be.

If I had it everyday would I want it then?

That is the question. For now I stare out my office window (at least I have an office with a window) and look at my convertible burning up in the hot afternoon sun.




7 Comments:

Blogger The Snarkess said...

I think you should read "Gift From the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. I think you'd really enjoy it :) Great writing...written by a writer who routinely leaves her familial obligations to go to the beach for a few weeks and slow down her life and write. Written in the 50's, which would make her sort of a radical, back then ~lol~

Quick read. The kind you could read...

...well, at the beach, I guess :)

3:06 PM

 
Blogger Maggie said...

If they're heading to Cumberland Island, Hilton Head or Hunting Island, GO WITH THEM!!!

It's called "mental health days".

3:10 PM

 
Blogger Trinity2 said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Claire - I will be sure to check it out!

Maggie - if I wasn't FINALLY going to be able to go to the beach the end of August I would surely be in the car with them. I am biding my time....BLAH! ;-)

3:42 PM

 
Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

No, it is not that it is all that it is cracked up to be. Sand down there, sand everywhere, caked salt, sunburns on the back of your knees - the only good things: 50+ surf waves, sharks, throwing blood chum in the water for sharks and then laughing hysterically as everyone else flees (does tend to cut down on the invites next year though), and of course rip-tides!

5:17 PM

 
Blogger r.d. said...

My answer is yes. All I want is to live on or near the ocean. I could go on and on and on about that one. Having it available to me everyday would just allow me to enjoy the hell out of it and stop aching for it. I'm dying this summer, I actually die a little every summer. I was just saying the other day at work that another part of my soul died.(sad, but true) It was killing me to be inside and not enjoying the summer. I hate it-

You are a stronger person than I t2, I never would be able to say 'no' so many times to those invites. Can't you just go for a long weekend? Thank god I at least live 1/2 mile away from Lake Michigan or I would be literally dead- or insane.

7:16 PM

 
Blogger Kelly said...

Good old Nick Gilder. Wasn't that his only hit?

Here's hoping that the nationwide heatwave subsides and that you get to the beach or some body of water, even just for a day or two. That would be a little something anyway.

10:47 PM

 
Blogger Mandy said...

I just found out that a friend who works for an insurance company, whos wife is in the process of divorcing him, was given two months off for 'getting himself together.' TWO MONTHS. I forget the term they used, something to the term of what Maggie said: Mental Health Vacation...

*whine* I wanna work for an insurance company, or at least HIS insurance company... Or the government, like you said Trin...

9:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home